Ahead of likely cabinet expansion this week, President Ram Nath Kovind in a major rejig on Tuesday gave charge of state administrations to 8 governors. The reshuffle included both transfer and new appointments. There is also speculation that Prime Minister Narendra Modi will reshuffle the union cabinet this week. Currently, the cabinet has 52 ministers and it is said that around 20 more faces will be accommodated in Modi cabinet expansion. 2.0.
Meanwhile, the President made following transfers or new appointments of Governors:
1. PS Sreedharan Pillai, Governor of Mizoram, was transferred and appointed as Governor of Goa
2. Satyadev Narayan Arya, Governor of Haryana is transferred and appointed as Governor of Tripura
3. Ramesh Bais, Governor of Tripura is transferred and appointed as Governor of Jharkhand
4. Thaawarchand Gehlot, who currently serves as Cabinet Minister, has been appointed as Governor of Karnataka
5. Bandaru Dattatraya, Governor of Himachal Pradesh is transferred and appointed as Governor of Haryana.
6. Visakhapatnam MP Hari Babu Kambhapati has been appointed as Governor of Mizoram in place of PS Sreedharan Pillai, who was transferred to Goa.
7. Gujarat Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Mangubhai Chhaganbhai Patel has been appointed as Governor of Madhya Pradesh
8. Former Goa Speaker Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar was named Governor of Himachal Pradesh.
As far as Modi cabinet expansion is concerned, Ministers with additional portfolios—Prakash Javadekar, Piyush Goyal, Dharmendra Pradhan, Nitin Gadkari, Dr Harsh Vardhan, Narendra Singh Tomar, Ravi Shankar Prasad, Smirti Irani and Hardeep Singh Puri — will relieve extra posts to make way for the new ministers.
Sushil Modi, Jyotiraditya Scindia, Sarbananda Sonowal, Ladakh MP Jamyang Tsering Namgyal and Anupriya Patel are among the names who may find place in the new Union Cabinet expansion.